Apr 11, 2008

Lemon Clove Cookies

I came across this cookie recipe in Nick Malgieri’s “Cookies Unlimited” book which I found in public library. Last weekend I was at the library looking for some new DVD’s to entertain me during my lazy afternoons, as usual hubby dear was searching some IT books for him. So l happened to go through the nonfiction section and look for books about cooking.OMG it is the motherland of cookbooks! There was a whole aisle full of them. It took me 1 hour to select out 3 books (Cookies Unlimited, 150 Cake Recipes and Sweet Indulgences) from their excellent collections.I’ve always loved going to the library and now that I've discovered their cookbooks, I have no doubt that I will love it even more.Hurry!!!!!go and check it out immediately.

Ok coming to cloves they are actually the dried buds of the clove tree. Used in China for more than 2000 years, cloves are believed to be an aphrodisiac. We do know that clove oil is a time-honored remedy for toothache, and that clove oil is highly antiseptic. The cloves are also used to stop vomiting. My hubby likes clove tea and frequently asks me to prepare for him.These cookies are another way to use the clove in our kitchen.

INGREDIENTS:

All purpose flour – 2cups
Sugar – 1cup
Egg – 1
Ground cloves –1tsp
Lemon extract – 1/2tsp
Butter (melted) – 1/4cup
Baking Soda - 1tsp
Salt

(For Lemon Glaze)

Confectioner’s sugar – 1/2cup
Lemon extract – 1tsp
Water – 3tsp

METHOD:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

In a mixing bowl mix flour, ground cloves and salt together. Beat butter and granulated sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg and lemon extract; beat until well blended. Gradually add the flour, baking soda and beat until well mixed. Divide the dough in half. Roll each half into about 2 inches wide and 7 inches long. Wrap in wax paper. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm. Unwrap the cookie dough and cut into desired sizes about 1/4-inch thick using cookie cutter. Sprinkle slices lightly with remaining sugar and place on a baking sheet. Bake until lightly browned around the edges, about 12 minutes. Transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.

For the Lemon Glaze, mix confectioners' sugar, water and lemon extract in small bowl until well blended. Drizzle over cooled cookies (I used a knife). Let stand until glaze is set.


This is my entry for Think Spice : Think Cloves Event hosted by Gretchen and LiveSTRONG Day 2008 event hosted by Barbara.

39 comments:

Cham said...

Clove cookies should have tasted great for tea. They are awesome ur cookies...Nice entries for both event Dear.

Unknown said...

Dhivya your cookies look gorgeous..I love the glaze over them..Time for me to search for cookbooks too..Thanks for letting me know..All ur postings are unique Dhivya.ypu rock!

Mythreyee said...

Cookies are looking grogeous Dhivya. What a wonderful combo Lemon and cloves. Excellent entry.

Rosie said...

Dhivya your cookies are gorgeous!! Just look at that beautiful glaze on them and I bet they taste SO good!! Wonderful bake :)

Rosie x

sandhya said...

lovely cookies.... even i spent a lot of time in library looking through the cookbooks...

Madhavi said...

Dhivya, cookies lookes awesome, lovely combo and love that glaze:))

Kalai said...

Perfect cookies and that glaze looks so shiny!! Love them! :)

Shubha Ravikoti said...

hey divya i tried ur palmiers turned out well... just the sweet wasnt enough.... but we all loved it a lot...
hey i hope u dont mind if i post it in my blog....

hey do check my blog have updated...:d

Gretchen Noelle said...

Wonderful cookies! I love the citrus clove combination! I am sure they taste great together! Thanks for your participation!

ranji said...

hi dhivya..thats some delicious cookies..great entry!!.can u parcel me some:)...
even i get books from lib and try out recipes...love to explore different kinds of cuisines....

Unknown said...

Dhivya, cookies lookes awesome and very nice combo!!!love the glaze on it...

Anonymous said...

wow...dhivya,cookies are awesome!!!i always look forward to ur recipe and i like it...keep going

-Sudha

Meera said...

Wow those cookies look splendid!! Great job

Uma said...

wow, wonderful cookies Dhivya! Picture is so appealing. Yes, library is a great spot for wonderful books.

Divya said...

Wow perfect cookies with awesome glaze ...Good job done

TBC said...

That looks fabulous! I like the combination of cloves and lemon. I can imagine how good that tastes.:-)

Rachel said...

The first pic is proof enough of how good your cookies turnes out..looks so perfect..love the drizzled lemon glaze as well! Good one!

Lavanya Raj said...

Dhivya cookies romba azhaga irukku..Nice presentation dear!

Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful! Great entry.

sunita said...

Dhivya, the cookies look perfect...lovely entry for both :-)

Unknown said...

Thank you for supporting A Taste Of Yellow Dhivya. THe cookies look really nice.

Arundathi said...

Thats a lovely photo!

Seena said...

It looks very beautiful, D!

Deeba PAB said...

What perfect & delicious looking cookies Dhivya...hmmmmmmm...you're enticed me to try these soon! Great post!

Anonymous said...

Love your cookies. Even though I have been thinking of going to library to browse the cookbooks section, I've been postponing it. Not any more.

kamala said...

Dhivya cookies supera irukku.Love the book too.Looking more from it!!!

Annu said...

Looks so tasty and crispy dear......

By the way yesterday I gave yours and Uma blog website to my mom and to my mother-in -law,they said the presentation style is really good and also said our genration girls are continuing the traditional Indian cooking.

Daily Meals said...

Nice entry! Cookies look delicious...

Swati said...

Wow Dhivya.. they look perfect..I can feel the crunch sitting here :)) Excellent entry girl!!

Poonam said...

Yummy!

Deepa Kuber said...

Wow! cookies look delicious..i havent even tried cookies once.. everytime i see a cookie entries, i get tempted.

Medhaa said...

they look delicious.

I would like to thank you for leaving such wonderful and encouraging words on my blog, they keep me inspired. I appreciate all the good things you have to say. Thank you so much.

Dhivya said...

Cham - yeah cham:))they tasted wonderful:)thanks

Divya - do search in lib divya!wonderful collection there...thanks

Myth - its indeed a wonderful combo dear!

rosie - yep!they tasted wonderful

sandhya - thanks girl

madhavi - tasty too:))

kalai - thanks kalai

shuba - i never mind subha:)u can post

gretchen - its my pleasure to participate....

ranji - sure:)send me ur adress..

priya and sudha- thank u very much

meera - glad u like my cookies

uma - thanks uma

Dhivya said...

Divya and tbc - thanks girls

rachel - thanks dear

lavi - nadri lavi!

home and sunita - glad u girls like these

barbara - welcome dear:)

arundati and seena - tasty too

pass - do try these:)u will like them

madhu - go and search imme madhu!wonderful collections

kamala - mikka nadri kamala

annu - thanks dear:))

daily and swati - thank u very much girls

Poonam and anjali - thanks

medhaa - thanks dear:)i love ur site

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to mention what I read in the Taste of Yellow event, in case you have missed it. In the Rules section of the page, in the
3rd point, it is mentioned that the entry should be specifically made for Taste of Yellow and cannot be entered into other blog challenges.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

Dori said...

I have spent hours before at our library in cookbooks alone...the time just flies by. These cookies look great!

Andhra Flavors said...

Lovely cookies divya......

Lael Meidal said...

I am so glad I found this recipe through the think spice event. your cookies sound so simple and cozy. thanks for sharing the recipe!

Anonymous said...

these look so scrumptious! yummy!