Mar 19, 2008

Seembaal/Junnu

Seembaal/junnu is a tamil/telugu word for a sweet, which is prepared from first day milk of cattle usually cow or buffalo.This is my favourite sweet which i think I am missing here in US.But it was a few days back and when I was blogging saw this delicious recipe for seembal.I loved the idea of using condensed milk and I was so happy to learn we can make it even without lactating milk.Finally I tried this yesterday in home and the taste and texture looks exactly the same as seembal that it almost satisfies our craving. Thought to share with you girls(Guess some of u knew this already). Thanks ramya for the woderful recipe.


INGREDIENTS:

Egg – 2
Whole milk – 11/2 cup
Sweetened condensed milk – 1cup
Black pepper – 1 tsp
Cardamom Powder – 1tsp

METHOD:

Beat the eggs thoroughly. Take a bowl and add egg mixture,condensed milk,whole milk and mix well.Now transfer this mixture into a bowl which fits in your pressure cooker.Sprinkle pepper powder and cardamom powder. Place this bowl in the pressure cooker with little water and cook on low flame for 30-40 minutes without whistle.A knife inserted should come out clean. Cool for few hours in the refrigerator and serve.

For all of us that love real seembaal milk..... it’s now possible to buy it in USA.Milk is called colostrum and sold in most states, where raw milk is sold.It’s a little pricey but it’s worth every penny.They (the one in Fresno, CA ) usually Ups it the same day and it’s at our door by next day(heard from friend).

visit here
Select your state
Search for the word colostrum

Ramya has posted her vegetarian version too..but i tried egg version only..will let u know once i try that..

33 comments:

Kalai said...

I've never tried this before, but it looks great, Dhivya! :)

Unknown said...

Dhivya..It looks really great..Wanting to try this..Looks easy to prepare too...Nice pics girl..

Anonymous said...

wow!simply suberb

Meera said...

We call it Kharwas in Marathi. I just love it.

Cham said...

I heard Junnu may be from my Andra friend's , I guess it is "palkova" taste right dear :) But egg seems to be little different. I love the portion, is it for me?

Cham said...

After visiting the original post, i got it It is called "Tirrattu paal" wow i should make it soon....

kamala said...

I heard it when i was young.Never tried it.looks yummy

Cynthia said...

This is outstanding. I'm going to try making it.

Unknown said...

amazing!junnu is my favorite too..thnx for sharing

Unknown said...

yummy..neew to me:)but delicious

Unknown said...

something very different...good one again dhivya!!!

Raks said...

I too have tasted without egg only ! Wonder how it will taste with egg, would like to have some;)

Lavanya Raj said...

Dhivya..superb..those soft looking seempall is tempting me..i will try this soon.

Uma said...

fantastic pictures, Dhivya! So mouth-watering. thanks for the wonderful recipe

Jayashree said...

Sounds like a healthy treat....

jayasree said...

Never knew any dish was made using cheempal. At my home, it was used for making curds that too without boiling. Interesting to know about this

Laavanya said...

I remember seeing this on ramya's blog earlier but never tried.. looks like it came out really well for you.

Seema said...

Saw Junnu posting few weeks back at someone elses blog to... Cant remember where!! Too many blogs to keep track off :-) Nice one!

AnuZi said...

Looks yummy and I love that its healthy too. you should call it guilt free dessert ;o)

Dhivya said...

kalai - do try this girl..u will like them for sure

Divya - would love to hear ur feedback

Anon - thanks for visiting my blog

Meera - Thanks for the name dear:)

Cham - Sure dear:)that piece is reserved for u

Kamala - thanks:)try this dear

Cynthiya - thanks for stopping by

Dhivya said...

Priya and sandhiya - thanks

Sowmya - thanks for ur valuable comments dear

Raks - sure..u can at any time:))

Lavi - thanks dear

Meera - thanks for considering me dear

Uma - thanks uma:)

jaya - try this dear:)surely u like this

Laavanya - thanks dear

Seema and anuzi - thanks girls

Seena said...

Seeing the Junnu in other sites, I was really planning to try out once..! This is really look delicious, SEND me a piece.. :)

Anonymous said...

Ah! the pictures are just mouthwatering dhivya.

Jaya M said...

Dhivya,
its very tempting ..looks good ..
hugs and smiles
jaya

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Never tried once...looks delicious pudding...

Unknown said...

WOW !! What a picture!! Looks like it was coming off my monitor :) I saw junnu in another blog long back and i was so surprised to see that its made from the lactating milk:) I am glad to see that I could make it in US a similar version of junnu using condensed milk:) Thanks for the recipe :)

Cilantro said...

I will try it out and thanks for sharing the recipe and information about colostrum .

Angel said...

Hi Dhivya,

I have tried your version of junnu. It came out really well. After so many days i had junnu.

I did a small modification by reducing condensed milk and adding jaggery. I got the junnu the way i wanted. :)

Thanks for the post.

Neela

Madhavi said...

Hey..m gonna make this diah tomorrow, will let u know, kaisa bana :) looks mouth watering, can't wait to try!!

And ya, how do i know t u r in burbank. It says right on your blog under the slides.
"A warm welcome to my visitor from BURBANK".

Madhavi said...

Hey...You rock gal, yesterday i made Junnu, and it came out awesome jus wonderful. Me, my hubby and my friends loved it. I never made Junnu before so this is new for us. Keep up the good work dear:)))

sru said...

Loved this recipe divya.. my frnds and family also adores it.. thanks so much...

Sruthi.

madhu said...

Hi Dhivya ... This looks yummy .... but I want to know the veg version without eggs ... can u please post that ... Thanks in advance ...

lalitha said...

my kid was asking for junnu for past few days which her ammaamma used to make as out of India i could not make it for her but after seeing this blog i got an idea to make it and i did it...it tastes really yummy she loved it a lot when i surprised her on her bday i don't know who u r are but i am really thankful to u...thank u for the recipe u made her happy....